Monday, October 13, 2008

Ball Hog

Daryl Thomas is my name, and soccer is my game. Give me a ball, cleats, two nets, and a team to punish. See, I did not write about having my own team. Whenever it comes to soccer, I always play thinking about where I can position myself or what I can do next. I forget that I have 10 other players to help me out. I remember every goal I have ever scored from every season that I played soccer. Come to think of it, when did I ever give an assist? My cockiness on the field did bring All-star and team MVP awards, but it did not matter, for my cockiness ruined one of the most important and memorable games I ever played in.

            The first stage off the Division 3 North Bracket started with Trinity Catholic against North Shore Tech. Racing out of Algebra II, soccer was on my mind. How many goals would I score today? Are we even going to win today? Will I make my brother proud? As I changed into my uniform with sternness on my face, one could tell that I was in “the zone”.  I kept myself alone form my teammates, mentally preparing myself for the big game. I had always wondered how the likes of Tom Brady in the Superbowl or Ronaldo in the World Cup final felt before their games. Now I felt it. I was incredibly nervous. I was about to play the biggest game of my life.

            Once we got warm-ups over with, Coach called us into the huddle. I did not really pay attention but just prayed that God would be with me. As the whistle blew, all the fear disappeared. It was my time to shine. North Shore was a tough opponent, and they played hard. They were the first ones to strike. I kept telling myself, “Zero to zero, Daryl”. I could not let that bring me down. Late into the game, I got into a break away with a defender leaning on me. I saw the goal in sight as the goalie came off his line to charge me. I closed my eyes ready to be knocked by the keeper and kicked the ball. I flipped in the air and rolled on the ground. I could hear the celebration from the crowd. Pride overwhelmed me. I could see all my friends applauding, the glee on Coach’s face, and my brother on his crutches clapping on the sideline.

            As the game continued, the final whistle was soon to blow. North Shore forced a corner kick. I set myself at the top of the 18-yard box ready to collect the ball. As they kicked, our keeper, Sean Lydon, knocked the ball out towards me. As the ball ran past, I remember looking at Robert Stuke’s face who was saying, “I got it, I got it”. I turned to control the ball, weary of the fact that a North Shore defender was running towards it. I knew he would get there first, so I slide tackled to kick it out of his away. I just missed by a couple centimeters and followed the path of the ball as it sailed over Sean’s hands. I had lost the game.

            I will never forget that memory. The tears were unending. I felt like such a loser, a disappointment to my Coach, brother, and now my team. I always look at the article from the Daily News Tribune about the game as a reminder of how I should and should not play soccer. My cockiness absolutely ruined that day, but taught me to be more open-minded and to seek help from others. It has definitely worked, seeing that I have more assists than goals this year.

0 comments: