Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Crucible HW p.36-48

"I must tell you all that I shall not proceed unless you are prepared to believe me if I should find no bruise of hell upon" (38) -Reverend Hale


The fantasy of witchcraft is evident through Reverend Hale's statement. This quote is a sort of liability agreement from Hale. If he is wrong in his actions, then he should not be blamed. The people have to be ready for any conclusion he comes to. Hale is just proving that he does not want people to know that he is telling lies. This manifests the falsity of Hale's occupation and the idea  of witchcraft.




"And then he come one stormy night to me, and he say, 'Look! I have white people belong to me.' And I look-- and there was Goody Good" (47) -Tituba

Even in 1692, color was an issue. Tituba, a black slave,  was telling Reverend Hale about her interaction with the Devil. It seems as if the blame for all the illnesses shifts from Reverend Parris, to Abigail, and finally to Tituba. This finger-pointing continues as Tituba blames it on a bunch of other women, who were "white". She does not want her own kind being punished, for they were hurt enough. She shifts the blame to many other white women, and Abigail follows in her lead.


Questions:
1) Are Tituba and Abigail lying about the other women being involved just to save themselves?

2) Does Reverend Hale really have any experiences of interacting with the Devil, or is he just lying about his past for fame?

0 comments: