Monday, March 30, 2009

P and P #8: Ch.11-13

"I have courted prepossession and ignorance, and driven reason away where either were concerned. Till this moment, I never knew myself" (192).


The original title of this novel being First Impressions, we can see why a first impression is so important. Elizabeth states, "Your character was unfolded in the recital which I received many months ago from Mr. Wickham" (190). Elizabeth based Wickham's words as her first impression of Darcy. This was done without much reason, for Wickham had duped her into being sympathetic toward an agreeable gentleman as himself who had been abused by Darcy. Elizabeth, always trusting her own judgement, did not ever consider asking the truth from Darcy until the letter was given. Elizabeth's prejudice toward Darcy was completely deemed unjust, and now Elizabeth even questioned her own intellect. This goes to show how important a first impression is. Just a couple of words from Wickham about Darcy created an unjust prejudice. Here we learn to look at the big picture, rather than look close up at what looks interesting, blurring our vision of everything else.

Questions:
In Darcy's letter to Elizabeth, the reader can infer that

I. Darcy is sorry if he has hurt anybody
II. Wickham is greedy
III. Darcy seeks revenge

A. I only
B. I and II
C. I and III
D. II and III
E. I, II, and III

0 comments: