Thursday, September 11, 2008

Examples of Ethos, Logos, and Pathos in Darcy's Speech from Pride and Prejudice

Ethos


"Towards him I have been kinder than towards myself"(170).

Even though Darcy broke up the marriage of his friend and Elizabeth's sister, he believes his actions were good and that it was only done to help his friend out. Darcy thought marrying a girl of lower class in society would harm his friend in the long run. He believes he was kinder to his friend than to himself through these actions. This shows that Darcy values friendship. He will help his friends and be honest to them no matter what, causing him to be a trustworthy person.

Logos

An example would be when Elizabeth states she dislikes Darcy: "I have every reason in the world to think ill of you" (170). She then states why she dislikes him, bringing up how he broke up her sister's marriage with the man she loved. She then states another reason about how he cheated Mr. Wickham, a childhood friend of Darcy that has been rumoring unfair and deceitful deeds done by Darcy to Wickham.

Pathos

"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you" (168).

Darcy expresses his love for Elizabeth, something he has had a hard time to say for a while, or his "struggle". I believe this sparks a sense of Darcy being adorable to the reader and an attempt for Elizabeth to feel the same.

0 comments: